Update to Colston Hall’s Transformation building project
The work to create the world-class concert hall that Bristol deserves has started, with the historic main hall and Lantern now unrecognisable following the balcony and stages being removed and the heritage items packed away for safe storage.
However, following further assessments of the building after its closure in June 2018, and as works have progressed and uncovered the delicate Victorian structure of the building, it has become clear that the original opening timetable needs to be revised.
Therefore we now aim to open the doors to a new world-class music venue in autumn 2021.
Until then, we will continue to deliver our live performance and education programmes using the foyer building, which remains open, and other venues and spaces across the city under the banner of Colston Hall Presents.
What we are building
Our £48.8 million redevelopment project will:
- BUILD an exceptional classical and contemporary music venue for Bristol
- CREATE world-class spaces for education and enterprise
- BREATHE new life into wonderful Victorian buildings by opening up and restoring the unique Bristol Byzantine colonnades and 150-year-old historic façade
- PROVIDE greater comfort for audiences and artists with new seating and air-conditioning
- IMPROVE backstage facilities for artists
- REVITALISE The Lantern, creating a beautiful and flexible space for use as both a performance venue and conference facility
- OPEN up our incredible Victorian cellars to create a third performance space
- CREATE a new education centre in our historic cellars to provide a new home for Bristol Plays Music, which works with thousands of young people every year.
Visit our Transformation pages to view pictures of our demolition works, find out more about the project and ways to support our work.